Kala Sarpa Dosha: The Carrier of Past Life Karmas
The Kala Sarpa Yoga, or Kala Sarpa Dosha, is one of the most feared planetary combinations in Vedic Astrology. It is commonly called a Dosha because it mostly causes inauspicious results. The term ‘Kal’ means time and ‘Sarpa’ means serpent. In Vedic Astrology, the shadowy planets Rahu and Ketu represent the mouth and the body of a serpent. The Kalsarpa Dosha is formed when all the planets Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn are placed between the malefic Rahu and Ketu. When all these planets, including the Lagna (Ascendant), align within the Rahu-Ketu axis, they become ineffective, and will not produce results based on their full potential. People born with this Yoga in their horoscopes will certainly go through a lot of ups and downs. Kala Sarpa Dosha has its mention in the Nadi branch of astrology. The planets Rahu and Ketu are related to our past life deeds and unfulfilled desires. When all the planets and Lagna are within their clutch, our life is mostly driven by past life Karmafal. The Kalsarpa Dosha is supposed to bring huge negative effects on the lives of individuals. The malefic combinations of planets causing this dosha make individuals’ lives largely problematic, unhappy, and unstable. It is generally considered a fatal dosha and people would go to any extreme to prevent its consequences. But this does not mean that everyone having this Dosha will suffer. We can see this Yoga in the horoscope of highly successful people too. Like Yogas, there are Yoga Bhangas, which is why, even with many Doshas, some people reach great heights in their life, and with many good Yogas, some people fail to achieve anything big.
- Kala Sarpa Dosha: The Carrier of Past Life Karmas
- The Impacts of Kala Sarpa Dosha
- Some Kalsarpa Combinations and the Resulting Impacts
- The Conditions that nullify Kala Sarpa Dosha Effects
- Different Types of Kala Sarpa Dosha
- 1. Ananta Kala Sarpa Dosha
- 2. Kulik Kala Sarpa Dosha
- 3. Vasuki Kala Sarpa Dosha
- 4. Shankpal Kala Sarpa Dosha
- 5. Padma Kala Sarpa Dosha
- 6. Mahapadma Kala Sarpa Dosha
- 7. Takshak Kala Sarpa Dosha
- 8. Karkotak Kala Sarpa Dosha
- 9. Shankachood Kala Sarpa Dosha
- 10. Ghatak Kala Sarpa Dosha
- 11. Vishdhar Kala Sarpa Dosha
- 12. Sheshang Kala Sarpa Dosha
- What are the Remedies for Kala Sarpa Dosha?
- The Bright Side of Kala Sarpa Dosha
- Kala Sarpa Dosha – Frequently Asked Questions
- How many years does Kaal Sarpa yoga last?
- What happens if one has Kaal Sarpa dosha?
- Which stone is ideal for Kaal Sarp Dosha?
- Is Kaal Sarp Yoga true?
- What is Kaal Sarpa dosh in marriage?
- How do you nullify the malefic effects of Kaal Sarp Dosha?
- How can I know my Kaal Sarpa Dosha?
- Famous personalities with Kaal Sarpa Dosha?
- Kaal Sarpa Dosha in females?
- Difference between ascending and descending Kaal Sarpa Dosha?
The Impacts of Kala Sarpa DoshaThe Kalsarpa Yoga is mostly inauspicious and is believed to harm people gravely. The outcomes of this Dosha, though malefic, will not be the same for every individual. The magnitude or scale of damage it can cause varies, depending on the position and condition of the planets. A few issues people could face under the influence of this Dosha include:
- Delays at the workplace, with various projects or undertakings
- Losses in business, with obstacles blocking the growth
- A diminished mental state
- Issues with health and anxiety
- Great unrest and misunderstanding among family and friends
- An unhappy marital life
Some Kalsarpa Combinations and the Resulting Impacts
The Conditions that nullify Kala Sarpa Dosha EffectsThere are a few instances in which Kala Sarpa Yoga fails to harm the natives. Some horoscope conditions that nullify the Kalsarpa Dosha include
- The presence of a strong Rajayoga, or some other powerful Yoga.
- Two or more Rajayogas in the birth chart
- Malefic planets aspecting Rahu and Ketu
- Two or three planets in their sign, or exalted condition
- Exaltation of the Lagna lord, and the 9th and 10th lords
Different Types of Kala Sarpa DoshaThere can be 12 different types of Kalsarpa Yoga, according to the placement of Rahu and Ketu.
1. Ananta Kala Sarpa DoshaWhen Rahu is positioned in the Lagna and Ketu is in the 7th house, this yoga is formed. All the planets will be in between them. The people who have the Anant Kala Sarpa Dosha will have to work extremely hard to find success in life and may succumb to gambling, playing the stock market, etc. There can be innumerable losses from engaging in such ventures. Those having this Dosha in the horoscope may also face lawsuits, police cases, delays/problems in marriage, health issues, etc. They will have gradual improvements after the age of 27 if other strong Yogas are present in their charts.
2. Kulik Kala Sarpa DoshaThis Yoga is formed when Rahu is placed in the 2nd house, and Ketu is in the 8th house. Defamations, scandals, unstable marital life, problems from inheritance, financial issues, etc. are connected with this Dosha. There will be gradual improvements after the age of 33 if other strong Yogas are present in the chart.
3. Vasuki Kala Sarpa DoshaRahu in the 3rd house, and Ketu in the 9th house, cause Vasuki Kala Sarpa Dosha, which leads to plenty of domestic problems, be it with siblings or other family members. The individuals would not get the desired results of their hard work and receive their rewards late in life. This Dosha may cause losses in business too. There will be gradual improvements after the age of 36 if other strong Yogas are present in the birth chart.
4. Shankpal Kala Sarpa DoshaThis Dosha involves problems relating to real estate, wealth, and education, since Rahu is in the 4th house and Ketu is in the 10th. It can create obstacles in the profession, financial loss due to family members, difficulty in education, etc. If there is an afflicted Moon, it makes matters worse as the person suffers from mental imbalance. If other strong Yogas are present, gradual improvement will occur after the age of 43.
5. Padma Kala Sarpa DoshaIf Rahu is in the 5th house and Ketu is in the 11th house, the individual faces Padma Kala Sarpa Dosha. The 5th house indicates Purva Punya so this clearly shows the lack of Purva Punya. There will be hindrances in the field of education and career, but the individual could cross all barriers and succeed eventually. Ill health and secret enemies are the biggest adversaries. If other strong Yogas are present in Kundli (कुंडली), gradual improvement will occur after the age of 48.
6. Mahapadma Kala Sarpa DoshaThis is another Dosha that hampers domestic life, with Rahu in the 6th house, and Ketu positioned in the 12th house. Though the individuals score victories over their enemies, they are bound to become characterless and will be deceived by their kin. The presence of other strong Yogas will assure development after the age of 54.
7. Takshak Kala Sarpa DoshaThis Yoga is formed when Rahu is in the 7th house, and Ketu is in the 1st house. Individuals who have this Dosha find romance difficult and also have trouble receiving their share of ancestral property. They may have good achievements but would show the tendency to renounce everything. They will be interested in philosophy and occult sciences. After the age of 60, they may incline towards spirituality.
8. Karkotak Kala Sarpa DoshaMental and physical well-being is affected by this Dosha that has Rahu in the 8th house, and Ketu in the 2nd house. An irritable nature and outspoken character work detrimentally for individuals who receive no success despite hard work. They would also face ups and downs in finance, legal issues, etc. The presence of other strong Yogas will assure development after the age of 33.
9. Shankachood Kala Sarpa DoshaWhen Rahu is in the 9th house, and Ketu in the 3rd house, it leads to the Shankachood Kala Sarpa Dosha. The individuals with this Yoga would face troubles in business and sudden downfall from power and position. They may have to fight for their rights. Upon enduring these troubles, these individuals can become increasingly selfish. The presence of other strong Yogas will assure development after the age of 36.
10. Ghatak Kala Sarpa DoshaThis Dosha can be remedied by the individual by doing service for his/her mother. It occurs when Rahu is in the 10th house and Ketu is in the 4th. Despite the achieved success, the individuals with this Dosha would find it hard to be happy. There would be problems in professional and family lives. Excessive interference from family members may make their life miserable. The presence of other strong Yogas will assure progress after the age of 42.
11. Vishdhar Kala Sarpa DoshaIn this Dosha, Rahu occupies the 11th house, and Ketu is in the 5th house. The issues corresponding to this Dosha begin with memory loss, poor educational experience, and plenty of domestic issues on property and wealth. The individuals with this Dosha may also suffer on account of their child. The presence of other strong Yogas promises gradual progress after the age of 48.
12. Sheshang Kala Sarpa DoshaThis is the 12th and final Dosha where Rahu is in the 12th house, and Ketu is positioned in the 6th. This is yet another Dosha that has debilitating effects, both physically and mentally. The individuals face a life of defamation and find it hard to get rid of the same. They will have a lot of hidden enemies, and will never feel satisfied with their lives. The presence of other strong Yogas promises gradual progress after the age of 54.
What are the Remedies for Kala Sarpa Dosha?One of the most effective remedies to reduce the effects of the Kala Sarpa Dosha is visiting shrines of higher spiritual beings. The popular places to visit include Srikalahasti temple, Trimbakeshwar temple, Rameswaram, and Thirunageswaram. The Kalasarpa Dosha Nivaran Puja at Sri Kalahasti mandir, Rameswaram, and Thirunageswaram, is considered the best remedy for Kala Sarpa Dosha. This Dosha can also be remedied by Kal Rudra Yagna performed in these temples. Rudra Avisek of Shiva, in any Shiva Temple, and chanting of powerful mantras like the Mrityunjay Mantra, Vishnu Panchakshari Mantra, and Sarp Mantra are the other popular remedies for this Dosha. But, according to some, the best remedy is letting good deeds outweigh the negative ones.
The Bright Side of Kala Sarpa DoshaKala Sarpa Dosha has some positive aspects as well. It can make a person hardworking and practical. People with this Yoga will show interest in spirituality and philanthropy. If supported by other horoscope factors, this Yoga may help individuals to reach great heights. So, before concluding the effects of Kala Sarpa Dosha, a thorough examination of the horoscope is important.
Kala Sarpa Dosha – Frequently Asked Questions
How many years does Kaal Sarpa yoga last?The duration of Kaal Sarpa Yoga lasts depending on the position of Rahu in the following houses. If Rahu is positioned in:
- 1st House then Kaal Sarpa dosha effects last up to 27 years of age.
- 2nd House, then Kaal Sarpa dosha effects last up to 33 years of age.
- 3rd House, then Kaal Sarpa dosha effects last up to 36 years of age.
- 4th House, then Kaal Sarpa dosha effects last up to 42 years of age.
- 5th House, then Kaal Sarpa dosha effects last up to 48 years of age.
- 6th House, then Kaal Sarpa dosha effects last up to 54 years of age.
What happens if one has Kaal Sarpa dosha?If you have a Kaal Sarpa dosha in your natal chart, then you may suffer from mental distress, hurdles in life, loss of peace, lack of self-confidence, suffer from health issues, life-longevity issues, loss of job, loss in business, anxiety, may face betrayals from friends, conflicts in the family and lack of support from friends and relatives. They may also have difficulty having children and may face marital problems. They may also tend to see dreams of haunted dead ancestors or recently departed family members. They may dream of their house or water bodies and feel as if they are being strangled by someone. They may experience a delay in success and may not receive full credit for their achievements and talents.
Which stone is ideal for Kaal Sarp Dosha?According to astrology, the most sought-after remedy is wearing a gemstone to reduce the malefic effects of Kaal Sarpa dosha. Hence, Gomed (garnet) or Vaidoorya (cat’s eye) fitted in a silver ring to be worn on the middle finger is the ideal recommendation to reduce the malefic effects of Kaal Sarpa dosha.
Is Kaal Sarp Yoga true?Like all other doshas, Kaal Sarpa Yoga exists in some kundali. According to astrology, Kaal Sarpa Yoga often forms as a result of one’s deeds in the past life or karma. It is believed to occur if the native had harmed a living being or a snake either in the present or previous life.
What is Kaal Sarpa dosh in marriage?When Rahu is positioned in the 1st House and Ketu in the 7th House, and the rest of the planets are positioned to the left side of the axis, it forms a dosha known as Vipareeta Kaal Sarpa Yoga. This positioning of planets along with Rahu and Ketu in the natal chart can lead to a difficult marital life and limited financial gains. Married couples may undergo a difficult phase due to conflicts, financial stress, a difference of opinion, etc., which could lead to a difficult marriage. The remedy to overcome the difficulties in marital life due to Kaal Sarpa Dosha is to perform a Kaal Sarp Dosha Nivaranpooja, which will help to avert any further problems in their marital life.
How do you nullify the malefic effects of Kaal Sarp Dosha?Vedic astrology suggests the following remedies to mitigate the negative effects of Kaal Sarpa Dosha:
- Chanting the Panchakshari Mantra or “Om Namah Shivay” at least 108 times a day.
- Chanting the Maha Mrityunjaya mantra Jaap at least 108 times a day.
- Chanting the Beeja mantra of Rahu 108 times while keeping a string of Agate in the hand
- Watering the Peepal tree every Saturday.
- Offering prayers to Nagaraja and other Snake Gods every Sunday, especially on Panchami Tithi.
- Worshipping Lord Shiva by performing Shiva puja and offering milk, flowers, Bilva Patra, fruits and plums and Abhisheka every Monday as well as on Maha Shivaratri, and thereafter donating food and clothes to the needy.
- Worshipping Lord Nataraja, the dancing avatar of Lord Shiva, and performing Shanti Puja on Sashti Tithi.
- Observing a rigorous fast on Nag Panchami and worshipping the Nag Devta on this day.
- Praying to Lord Krishna and offering 11 coconuts in the river on a Saturday or a Panchamitithi.
- Offering 108 pairs of Nag and Nagin made of metal in the river and offering Rudra Abhishek on a Monday.
- Chanting the Kaal Sarp Gayatri Mantra.
- Ensure to not hurt snakes or any other reptile. Chanting the names of the nine snake dynastical heads at least 21 times on every Sashtitithiis also considered effective.
- Performing the Kaal Sarpa Dosha Nivarana Puja
- Keeping a pet dog at home is said to please Lord BatukBhai to gain blessings as an effective cure for Kaal Sarp Dosha.
- Chanting Vishnu Sahasranama
- Worshipping Manasa Devi
- Worshipping a five-hooded idol of Nag Raj, preferably made in silver and kept in Lord Subramanya Swamy temple. Worshipping the idol daily with rice mixed with turmeric (Haldi) is considered auspicious.