Lord Shani (Sani) / Shani Dev the most popular among the Hindu deities and is one of the nine heavenly objects known as Navagraha in Hindu astrology. Shani is the son of Lord Surya and Chaya. Planet Saturn/Shani is a slow-moving planet. It takes around 29 years for Shani to complete one revolution around the sun and the dasa period in a horoscope is 19 years. So, when Shani dasa comes to our horoscope, it will be longer compared to other planets and their dasas. Shani Dev is considered as the Lord of Justice in Hindu Puranas. Shani has the power to reward or punish humans based on their Karma. He has got this authority from his Guru Lord Shiva. The popular misunderstanding about Lord Shani is that he is cruel to people. It is not correct. In fact, Shani is considered the Lord of justice. So Shani Dev punishes or rewards people according to their Karma. That means Lord Shani is only giving the fruits of people’s actions. According to Vedic Astrology, the bad influence of Shani is considered as unlucky times in a person’s life. But the result of good deeds will be very good. We must chant Lord Shani Mantra or Shani Sloka to get rid off negative effects in the Saade Sani period (7.5years). Some of the most powerful Lord Shani chanting mantras are given below. It will give tremendous and exciting changes in your life if you chant it properly with devotion.
Saturn is the indicator of Karma, during its transit will remind you what you have done in the past. You will understand what you have to do and how much righteous you should be in your life. Saturn is generally a sorrowful planet and its influence can be depressing. However, in certain positions, it gives powerful and beneficial results.
Sade Sati Mantra – 1
“Om Nilaanjana Samaabhasam, Ravi Putram Yamagrajam
Chaaya Martanda Samhubhutam, Tama Namami Shanescharam”
This is a very popular Shani mantra/sloka chanted by all the devotees to get rid off Sade Sani bad effects.
Shani Gayathri Mantra
“Om Sanaischaraya vidhmahe
Tanno manda prachodayat”
This Shani Gayatri Mantra gives you mind power and courage to do good things in your life. Chant this Shani mantra in the morning with extreme devotion and it will definitely keep you motivated.
Lord Shani Mantra
“Om Kaakadhwajaaya Vidmahae
Khadga Hastaaya Dheemahi,
Tanno Mandah Prachodayaat”
Lord Shani Beej Mantra – 1
Om praam preem praum sah shanayishraya namah
Lord Shani Beej Mantra – 2
Aum Aing Hring Shring Shung Shanaishcharaye Namah Aum
Lord Shani Beej Mantra – 3
Om Hlim Sham Shanaye Namah
How to worship Lord Shani on Saturdays
- Worship Lord Shani on Saturdays. It will bring positive effects and we can get rid off negative things going to happen in the time of Saade Sati period.
- Fast on Saturdays: Fasting and chanting mantras properly after taking bath during all Saturdays will bring tremendous good effects.
Saturday fasting (vruth) is the best remedy for alleviating the malefic effects of planet Sani/Saturn. Observance of Saturday fasting on these unfortunate periods is always advisable. Though, the fasting recommends avoiding food for the whole day, those who can’t endure this may observe it with a single meal. Chanting prayers of Lord Sani and visiting temples of Lord Sastha or Hanuman are also significant to this fasting. The person observing Saturday fasting should avoid oil massaging before taking bath and shouldn’t have hair cutting or shaving. These are some of the key observances of Saturday fasting. There would be some regional differences in these which you can accept and follow through careful examination. The more devoted or committed you are, the better results you get.
- Wear black or blue clothes.
- Offer black urad dal, black til oil, blue flowers, blue/black clothes will enhance the good effects. Donating food grains, oil on Saturdays to the needy is also recommended.
- Praying to Hanuman on Saturday nights is also beneficial to people who are having Sani dasa in the horoscope.
Prayer for Lord Hanuman
Before chanting these Shani mantras please keep these things in mind…
- First, you develop the mindset for chanting mantras. ie, You have to prepare yourself for the same.
- Find a proper place for chanting mantras. If possible find a place which is partially open and facing the sun. Also, be in a comfortable position. Don’t take an uncomfortable pose. It will distract you while chanting the mantras.
- Be regular in chanting mantras. Do not stop in the midway as it seems to be not working for you.
- Visualize the diety – Before chanting the mantras, you have to visualize the diety you are chanting it for.
- Determine the purpose or think about the reason for chanting the mantra and focus on that in mind. Clear your mind and relax.
- While chanting the mantras, proper breathing is important because it helps to control our voice and helps to maintain the rhythm.
- Work on your pronunciation. Proper pronunciation while chanting the mantras is very important. Wrong pronunciation may impact you negatively.
- You can use bead or “japa mala” while chanting the mantras. It can help you to add closure for each completed mantra.
- Closing the eyes while chanting the mantra is recommended and don’t be too loud. It’s not the correct way to chant the mantra.
- Choose the mantra and learn it correctly. Always use the mantra which is meaningful to you.
- Meditate a few minutes. Then you can start chanting your mantra.
- Keep the faith. It is very important. You will feel the desired results if you have the complete faith in the mantra which you are chanting.